Sunday, 8 September 2013

The day I met Oliver Jeffers

Hey guys! I'm sorry I hadn't been posting since the past two weeks, had been super busy and then was out of town one week for the designyatra in Goa, but well, here I am. Guess what?!?! I met the 'Oliver Jeffers' aaaaahhhh! I know right!! I couldn't believe it till I spoke to him, it's still quite hard to digest, it all feels like a sweet sweet dream. 



Starting with designyatra, I'l explain a bit, it is a seminar + workshop held every year where many talents from across the world are called to talk about their work and inspire people in various fields of design. This year the theme was 'create change' , that how these speakers created a change in the world or within themselves through their work. 
Oliver Jeffers, Paul Hughes, Joao Cardoso Fernandes, Margaret Stewart, Melissa Weigel, Karin Fong were my favourite, though the others were astounding as well. 

To the ones who don't know who Oliver Jeffers is, let me give you a headstart.
He is a children's book illustrator and a painter and an extremely talented humble human being. 'The day the crayons quit', 'This moose belongs to me', 'Stuck', 'The incredible book eating boy', Lost and found', 'How to catch a star' are a few amongst the many fantastic books he has written and illustrated. You can check out his world right here.  


 (Sorry about the blurry picture, but at that point I didn't know if I should take a picture, listen to him or both)






(This was his introduction video, which is beyond words, but sadly I couldn't capture the entire video, I was soooo freaking spell bound by his work that my brain and limbs weren't co-operating) 



(But I managed to take this one, it's a sneak peek of the animated movie Lost and Found, made from his book Lost and Found)



Obviously I had to take a picture with him, duh! Althought this is how the actual picture is... 



My mind, had a picture of its own. *blush*




It was really sweet of him to draw his version of Mr. Jeffers right next to mine.


And not just that, he also drew me standing next to him :D whooyay!  

Paul Hughes, founder of ten meters of thinking. He is an internationally renowned speaker with over 15 years experience in diverse audiences around 35 countries. The 45 minutes that he was on stage talking, I think every person sitting in the audience was mesmerized. 


Q: "If you're in a room with a cougar, a vicious cobra and a client with a two bullet gun, who do you shoot? Mind you, the cougar is a very dangerous animal and so is the cobra. 
A: The client ofcourse! 
     - Paul Hughes




Joao Cardoso Fernandes, Chief Creative Officer, VIEW Isobar, trained in computer science and mathematics he soon became interested in developing the interfaces that would allow humans and 'machines' to interact in a simpler and more productive way. 



Karin Fong, Director and Designer, Imaginary Forces, she created numerous sequences for television and feature film. Her reel includes Boardwalk Empire, Charlotte's Web, The Pink Panther 2, Dr seuss: The Cat In The Hat and much more apart from creating cinematics for Sony's God of War video game series.
Margaret Stewart, Director of Product Design, Facebook and Laura Jordon Bambach, Creative Director, Dare UK were fabulous as well.  

Lastly, I'd like to end this post by an illustration I made of my favourite speakers. If there are people who truly worship their work then it is positively undoubtedly these bunch of geniuses. The amount of effort, time, hard work and most importantly, love, that they put in is clearly seen.


If the sole purpose of this seminar was to 'bring a change', it most certainly changed my perspective. 

Until next time,
Sham



No comments:

Post a Comment